Many people who have creative skills and expertise in both mathematics and science may find they are best suited to one of the many paths of a career in Engineering. The main types of engineers are electrical, mechanical, chemical, computer and civil with additional subcategories in each of these.
In each of these, the focus is on designing, building, problem solving, and creating something to improve society or make day-to-day life easier, safer, and more convenient. They must also keep in mind how feasible their designs will be and if they will be worth the cost of creating them. If you have a creative mind and are interested in an engineering career consider one of these divisions.
- The main tasks of electrical engineers is to design and create useful electrical products for residential communities and businesses
- Electrical engineers can devote their entire career to just one product such as mobile phones or x-ray machines.
- The average salary for Electrical Engineers is $93,380 annually
- Expected demand to increase 11% over the next 10 years
- Test and evaluate mechanical designs and suggesting ideas for improvements
- Setting up new systems and monitoring their progress
- Perfect designs that show malfunction or weakness
- Median annual wage of $85,930
- May also need to possess knowledge of such things as materials handling, industrial fire protection, equipment sizing and designing, and product reliability testing.
- May also require skills in engineering theories, computer-aided designing, communications, and developing new technologies and materials.
Chemical engineers use chemistry principles to manufacture many different chemical products and equipment for chemical plants. Using chemistry and physics principles, combined with engineering technology, they manufacture such products as cement, rubber, paper, plastic, detergents and gasoline. In the case of manufacturing equipment, they will also perform various tests to make sure the equipment works properly.
- Work in many different industries including food, electronics, clothing, paper, healthcare and biotechnology
- Some chemical engineers choose to specialize in a specific product or chemical process such as nonmaterial, oxidation or polymerization
- Knowledge of how these various processes affect the environment
- Must take safety precautions at all times.
- Median annual wage of $104,340
- Projected 7.9% increase in demand for qualified applicants over the next 10 years in this field
Computer engineering jobs are quite popular today, and they offer excellent salaries as well. These professionals are valuable to most any business, large or small, but particularly businesses that deal with technology. Computer engineers are somewhat of a mix between computer scientists and electrical engineers. Many modern-day conveniences are the creations of computer engineers:
- Some of their main duties are to design new computer systems and to maintain and improve these systems as necessary
- Engineers have helped to create and maintain our x-ray machines, digital media players, alarm systems and cell phones
- Some specialize in such areas as computer systems, artificial intelligence, computer networks, computer architecture and integrated circuits.
- Software development engineers are projected jof growth of 22% in the next 10 years
- Increasingly sought out by movie and production companies for special effects and computer morphing technologies
- Civil engineer’s duties are geared around the design, creation and maintenance of various public works systems
- Often found working for government agencies, townships or private companies
- Civil engineers must design structures that will meet safety codes and standards for the areas that they are being built in
- Civil engineers may be involved in the construction of buildings, tunnels, freeway interchanges and bridge, sewage plants, levees, flood protection systems, seawalls and power plants
- Civil engineers often choose to specialize in such areas as geotechnical, structural, environmental and hydraulics.
For those people, who like to solve challenging problems and create something better for society, a degree in engineering will be the perfect choice. There are many career options available for people with engineering degrees, and the above are just a few. From computer and electrical engineering to chemical, civil and mechanical engineering, this degree can take you into a wide variety of fields from technical to cinematic and there is sure to be an option that is perfect for you.